We found a sewing machine sitting free on the curb yesterday. It's a White model 2137 which as far as I can determine was in production in the later 1950s and early '60s.
I have no experience with these things, but after a light surface cleaning, it was easy to determine that the motor worked. I didn't see anything obviously broken either.
Cleaned everything up... As is so often the case with items from this era is was coated in waxy brown buildup from cigarette smoke.
Cleaned everything up... As is so often the case with items from this era is was coated in waxy brown buildup from cigarette smoke.
I used silicone grease on its single plastic pinion and white lithium grease on all the cams. I opened up all the bearings and applied regular sewing machine oil. I used some rubber restoring stuff on the belt, and then made a couple adjustments. I didn't disassemble the motor, but it does go so maybe its best left alone anyway.





No comments:
Post a Comment